Technology for Remediation
EnergySolutions staff are experts in nuclear pilot plant design, modeling, construction, and operation.
EnergySolutions have designed, constructed, and operated more than 150 pilot plants and test rigs in the US and the UK over the last 20 years. These plants have supported the design, commissioning, and operation of some 20 first-of-a-kind nuclear processing plants and range from small-scale to full-scale facilities. We integrate technology with all major engineering disciplines, including plant safety, operations, and commissioning. This ensures that technology studies, in addition to providing design data, also provide operating envelope definition, off-normal, and process upset understanding, together with process robustness.
- Process Chemistry: Expertise in nuclear waste processing and cleanup
- Flowsheet Development: Optimizing the flowsheet to fit project constraints
- Equipment Development: For both permanent and skid-mounted facilities, integrated closely with process chemistry and flowsheet development
- Radionuclide Chemistry: Utilizing our knowledge and understanding to resolve key radionuclide issues
- Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange Processes
- Solid-Liquid Separation including cross-flow filtration, micro-filtration (MF), ultra-filtration (UF), reverse-osmosis (RO), centrifuge, hydrocyclone
- Radioactive Sludge Retrieval, Stabilization, and Packaging
- Cement Solidification/Grouting
- Radioactive Source Recovery
- Radwaste Incineration
- Radwaste Compaction
- Lead Processing/Recycling
- Large Component Dismantling (steam generators, reactor pressure vessels)
EnergySolutions has collaborated with world-leading university researchers to ensure we take full advantage of technologically advanced solutions to meet the significant and ever-changing challenges of the nuclear industry. In conjunction with The Catholic University of America’s Vitreous State Laboratory, we have developed the world’s most advanced suite of vitrification test facilities.
- Glass melting: computer-based formulation design plus crucible melt studies
- Joule-Heated Ceramic Melter (JHCM) pilot plants with melter areas ranging from 0.02m2 to 1.2m2
- Off-gas treatment development
- Comprehensive analytical chemistry support
- Comprehensive glass characterization