Specialized Nuclear Systems & Components
EnergySolutions offers diverse capabilities for handling and processing radioactive materials.
EnergySolutions has successfully developed many specialty nuclear systems and components for the nuclear marketplace including the automated sampling and laboratory facility designs, ultrafiltration systems, fluidic pumps, vitrification equipment, ion exchange systems, solvent extraction, and flexible hose-in-hose radioactive slurry transfer systems. Many of these systems are skid-mounted and allow for quick ease of deployment and future decommissioning with minimal impact on day-to-day plant operations.
EnergySolutions has developed many specialty nuclear systems and components for the nuclear marketplace. We understand the major capital investment required for the design and construction of new facilities and have taken an initiative to design safe, effective, engineered, skid-mounted treatment systems for the nuclear industry.
Fluidic Pump and Mixer Systems for Highly Radioactive Liquid Wastes (Hanford, Washington)
- Performance-tested reverse flow diverter (RFD) and jet pump pair (JPP) fluidic components
- Pumping, in-tank agitation, and flow control using devices that have no moving or electrical parts in contact with the radioactive liquid
- Used extensively in UK nuclear processing facilities like Sellafield
- EnergySolutions owns the rights to develop and market this technology in North America
Automated Sampling System (Hanford, Washington)
- Remote sampling at 47 points
- Bi-directional, pneumatic transfer system
- Ten autosamplers, three laboratory receipt stations, and ancillary equipment
- Operator training and technical support during installation, testing, and start-up
Modular approach to design for ease of deployment and future decommissioning with minimal impact on day-to-day plant operations
- Grout encapsulation
- Thermal treatment
- Ion exchange
- Cesium/strontium separation by solvent extraction
- Solid/liquid separation by ultrafiltration
- Vitrification melters (production and testing)
- Vitrification pilot plants and production units
- Nuclear power plant on-site liquid processing systems